Saturday, June 28, 2008

yes, i'm a lefty



What do these three have in common? They are all left handed. I have no idea how Kermit is left handed, but I read it online and think it's funny.
Here's the background on my handedness.... My mom, dad, brother, and several other relatives are all left handed. I started off being right handed, but broke my right arm in kindergarten as I was learning to write and switched to my left hand. I don't play golf or baseball often at all but when I attempt them, I do use my right hand. It really hasn't caused any problems for me except that my hand smears some types of ink and I just avoid using certain pens. I really don't think being left handed a big deal at all, but I am amazed at how people react to it sometimes. At least once a month, someone says OH MY GOSH!!! I did not know you were left handed or WOW!!! You are left handed. It is funny to me that people even care or think that it is that interesting. You'd think they just found out I had a third foot or an ability to make cupcakes magically appear or something.
I decided to google "left handed" to find more about my "fascinating" handedness. I learned that 7-10% of the population is left handed, there is a higher rate of left handedness in people with neurological disorders (yikes!), there is a higher rate in left handedness in overachievers :), and left handed men make more money than right handed men (there's no difference in women unfortunatley.) I also found that 7 presdents have been lefties, along with a ton of athletes whom I've never heard of, and many other famous people (and frogs).
That's all for now. Marcus is planning to post soon, but is waiting to come up with the perfect topic.



2 comments:

Brian, Jamie, Molly & Sarah said...

Oh, that cracks me up! Ash says the same thing....she only wants to post when she has something really fab to post about!

Oh my gosh, you are left handed :) It makes you even more special!

Anonymous said...

Not that I don't appreciate your excellent left hand "skill", but making cupcakes magically appear would be 100x better... :)

I could so go for a cupcake now!