Friday, July 4, 2008

Marcus's First Post

So here it is my first step into the blogosphere. When Elizabeth told me she wanted to start a blog I was a bit skeptical; I didn’t want to be just another guy with a keyboard and an opinion on subjects on which I was no expert.

Before I put pen to paper (read: fingers to keyboard) I was waiting for something amazing to happen, a truly WOW event- an encounter with a life alerting hobo or inspiring little girl…you know the kind of thing fireside devos are made of. As I waited for the kid with the pig heart and the homeless guy that had it all figured out I looked around and realized my life is pretty amazing and full of interesting characters already.

Take my nephew for example -- he is turning two. In just 730 days he has lived in two countries, and visited a third. He has learned to walk, talk, feed himself, dance like a mad man and the lyrics to most Dan Zanes’ songs. He has also eaten more dirt than any human should. He also made my sister miss my wedding, but after all the laughter and happiness that he’s brought to that house on Shadow I’ll let it slide.

My wife is a pretty cool chick. She puts up with moving twice (progressively farther away from her family) in under two years so that I can make a career out of moving trucks around. She makes me laugh at how much she under estimates herself. When we were getting ready to move she was afraid she wouldn’t find a job. She interviewed for three jobs and got three offers. She has now officially been offered a job for EVERY job she has EVER interviewed for…not a bad track record. What can I say? Her poor judgment of character allowed me to marry way out of my league.

Beth and I have been blessed with a great cast of people playing supporting roles in our life. From the friends at PV who helped us load a truck while Maumelle was under a flash flood warning to the new friends we’ve met a Park Plaza who have accepted us like one of their own. Brittney who got my wife out of the apartment for the week (thanks Britt she was going batty). Mom who is…my mom. My brother in-law Chad who has the biggest heart and the best memory of anyone you’ll ever meet. The drivers at work who have been exceptionally cool through a tough situation. And the list goes on.

Hopefully someday I can add an inspiring transient to the list of the people that make my life grand, until then I guess the cast of my life will have to do.


-MWS

3 comments:

JR and Hilari said...

It's good to see that at least one husband writes on his wife's blog! I'm still waiting for the right subject. Anyway, we're glad that everything's going well. We miss you guys.
JR.

Brian, Jamie, Molly & Sarah said...

Yeah, I was awaiting the awe inspiring post we were promised! I laughed when I read Elizabeth posting about how you were waiting for the perfect thing to post about...you and AG, obiviously siblings!

ashleigh said...

excuse me...what about the transient who is trying to convert the whole country to the metric system?? hello! if that is not a perfect example of "having it all figured out," i don't know what is.

ps. john mark is now rocking out to pete seeger. do i have the coolest kid, or what?